[keycloak-user] Issues with password reset link expiration

Michael Anthon michael.anthon at infoview.com.au
Tue Feb 9 23:24:10 EST 2016

We are having issues with some users when they are attempting to use the password reset feature.  It does work for most users however for some they always end up at an error page saying "WE'RE SORRY ... An error occurred, please login again through your application"

What I have been able to determine so far is that for the affected users we are seeing a double hit on that URL in the server logs and from what I understand, these reset URLs are invalidated as soon as they are accessed.

So here's the state of play
* works for most users
* some users hitting the reset URL twice
* URL is only valid for the first access (I'm not 100% sure about this, can someone confirm please?)
* URL is only valid for 30 minutes (but is being accessed within a few minutes of generation)
* affected users are mostly using Outlook
* some people tend to double click links in emails but I've verified with a reliable user that they are only clicking the link once
* having the affected person send themselves another reset email and then copy and paste the URL from the mail client usually resolves this problem

And questions
* is this an issue anyone else has noticed with Outlook, doesn't affect ALL Outlook users, just some
* is there a way to prevent the URL from being invalidated on initial access
* is it feasible to change the behavior so that the URL is only invalidated when the password is changed
* any other thoughts on how to avoid this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Michael Anthon
InfoView Technologies Pty Ltd
12/15 Adelaide St, Brisbane Qld 4000
P O Box 15478, City East, Brisbane Qld 4000
PH:          +61 7 3014 2204
F:             +61 7 3014 2200
M:           +61 408 768 055
michael.anthon at infoview.com.au

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. Any views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of InfoView Technologies Pty Ltd.