[keycloak-user] How to migrate users and roles from in-house storage

Paulo Pires pires at littlebits.cc
Fri Jul 22 05:41:20 EDT 2016

Updated PR!

But now I'm hitting another wall: password migration.

The app I'm replacing generated a random salt per user, stored it and then
used SHA-512(password, iterations, pepper, salt) to hash the password -
iterations and pepper are static. Now, I want to import this to Keycloak
and use bcrypt to hash the old hash. Obviously, I'll still need to be able
to generate the old hash when validating on KC log-in, right?

I also want that new users to just have bcrypt and not the old hashing
thing.

Now, I know that I can implement a PasswordHashProvider, but I'm not sure
exactly where to store and how to read information like the old salt, or
how to split between users that were migrated and need to use old hash +
brcrypt hash AND users that were created directly in KC and just need
bcrypt hash.

Any help is highly appreciated,
Pires