[keycloak-user] How to implement this using Keycloak

Travis De Silva traviskds at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 20:37:02 EDT 2016

Hi Pedro,

I have just started looking at the Keycloak Authorization Services that was
introduced in 2.0.0.Final.

I too have a similar use case. For example, we have a project management
system where projects belong to a project manager. A project manager can
have more than one project. Each project manager has access to only their
own projects.

Project Managers in turn report to Portfolio Managers. So a Portfolio
Manager should be able to access all his/her project manager's projects.

At the moment, how we handle this is by having a seperate mapping within
the application and since we build/own the applicaiton, we filter out the
JPA query results based on the above rules.BTW, our services are REST based
(i.e. JAX-RS) KeyCloak is essentially used for Authentication via a
federated LDAP/AD provider and we use Keycloak roles to protect the
services/front end screen options.

Are you saying that we can filter the data outside the application via Keycloak
Authorization Services? Maybe I need to start looking at the demo examples
a bit more.

I believe Rong's use case is also the same so hope I have not hijacked this
thread.

Cheers
Travis