[keycloak-user] Exporting a realm as JSON file should not contain user groups?

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 09:02:11 EST 2016

On 02/03/16 13:48, Stian Thorgersen wrote:
> As it stands Keycloak syncs this to its own database and as the export
> is a dump of the database it wouldn't work to remove it. In the future
> we are planning on providing an option to use LDAP without syncing to
> the Keycloak database. It'll be a while to we get to it though.
>
> With regards to the deletion of groups synced from LDAP I'm not sure
> how we do that for roles either, I believe the roles remain as well.
> Maybe Marek can comment on this?
Yeah, both groups and roles currently remain. You can create JIRA to
request removing them, however not sure when it will be done. Currently
there are some limitations like:

* We don't have any proper federation SPI for roles or groups. So we
just create roles/groups from LDAP but we don't track which roles/groups
belong to LDAP. This would require adding some attribute like
"federationLink" to both roles and groups. Or at least some generic
attribute (accessible via setAttribute/getAttribute - but this won't
work for roles as RoleModel don't have attributes ATM)

* There is no easy way to track roles/groups removed from LDAP. It may
require query all groups from Keycloak DB and doublecheck if particular
group still exists in LDAP. Similarly during sync of users, we don't
currently remove users, which were removed from LDAP in the meantime
(User is deleted later once it's queried by Keycloak). There is easy and
generic way to send query to LDAP like "Return all users (groups,roles)
created or modified since 2015-02-15 10:00:00" but there is no query to
track removed objects. Some LDAP servers support changelogs though, but
this is vendor specific AFAIK

* Finally there are various other corner cases, so automatically
deleting synced roles/groups is maybe not a good idea anyway. Will
require to be configurable IMO

Btv. If you quickly want removing groups, you can create subclass of
GroupLDAPFederationMapper and override method
"syncDataFromFederationProviderToKeycloak()" . You don't need to deal
with corner cases as you can do it in best way according to requirements
of your deployment.

Marek