[keycloak-user] ENV in keycloak.json does not seem to be working, base64 errors

cen imbacen at gmail.com
Mon May 16 17:37:21 EDT 2016

Hi

I am trying to use env vars in keycloak.json but I am getting base64 errors.

My keycloak.json:
{
  "realm": "myrealm",
  "realm-public-key": "${env.KC_REALM_PUBLIC_KEY}",
  "auth-server-url": "${env.KC_AUTH_SERVER_URL}",
  "ssl-required": "none",
  "resource": "myrealm",
  "public-client": true
}

I am deploying my ear to WildFly 10 using the following properties:
<property name="KC_REALM_PUBLIC_KEY" value="public key here"/>
<property name="KC_AUTH_SERVER_URL" value="http://localhost:8080/auth"/>

Error on deploy:
Bad Base64 input character decimal 36 in array position 0.. (char 36 is $)

It seems that KC wants to parse the value as string instead of trying to
resolve the env variable. Looking through the code and commits
(https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-1289) this should work. What
am I doing wrong?