[keycloak-user] Using a role to allow access to a resource

Guus der Kinderen guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 04:41:28 EDT 2016


While trying to authenticate a user to obtain a resource, I'm running into
an issue. It's likely caused by my misunderstanding of how things are
supposed to work, rather than some kind of bug. I'd love to be corrected.

Using Keycloak 1.9.2, I've created a realm with two clients. One client is
using the Javascript adapter[1] to create a very simply UI, that lets the
user authenticate. The resulting access token is used to make a request to
a REST-like service, which employs the Java Servlet Filter Adapter[2].

We're planning to have multiple resource services like this, each exposing
data for which different levels of authorization might be required.

I'd like our REST-like service to provide data only when the user that
requests the data has an access token that is issued to a front-end that is
allowed to access this data. To achieve this, I tried employing the use of
a role. I think this is where I'm messing up somehow.

What I did:

In the realm, I've a added a "realm role" ( "scope param required" /
"composite roles" both disabled)

In the client configuration that's used by the Javascript UI (which
generates the access token), I've made these changes to the "scope" tab:

   - Disabled "Full Scope Allowed"
   - Moved the role that I added earlier from "available roles" to
   "assigned roles"

Finally, I've modified the implementation of the REST-like service to check
for the new role, by doing something like this simplified code in a servlet
(that's covered by the OIDC Filter):

KeycloakSecurityContext securityContext = (KeycloakSecurityContext)
request.getAttribute( KeycloakSecurityContext.class.getName() );
if ( !securityContext.getToken().getRealmAccess().isUserInRole(
"the-role-that-I-added" ) )
    response.setStatus( HttpServletResponse.SC_FORBIDDEN );

This throws a NullPointerException, as getRealmAccess() returns null.

While debugging the code, it's appears that the access token itself is
received and valid - it's the scope / role check that does not appear to
come through.

I finally used the service at https://jwt.io/ to inspect the content of the
access token that's being generated. I expected the 'the-role-that-I-added"
value to be in there somewhere, but that's not the case.

That's where I thought it'd be a good idea to get some advice, and here we
are. I'd love some feedback.




More information about the keycloak-user mailing list