[keycloak-user] Restrict access to a client to a subset of Keycloak users

Shane Boulden shane.boulden at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 05:33:17 EST 2017

I got this working today with a custom auth flow, thanks heaps!

Just one thing - I've copied the 'Direct Grant Flow', and added a JS script
at the end to only allow certain groups to authenticate using the OpenShift
'oc login' command from a prompt.

This works allowing/denying access based on a group, however when a user
does not belong to the correct group, the oc login prompt displays the
following error:

"Error from server: Internal error: unexpected error: 500"

Here's the code I used for my JS script:

function authenticate(context){
  var groups = user.getGroups();
  var group_array = groups.toArray();

  for (var i in group_array) {
    var gn = group_array[i].getName();

    if (gn === "openshift-access") {
      context.success();
      return;
    }
  }
  context.failure(authenticationflowerror.INVALID_USER)
  return;
}

I thought this may be because the OpenShift CLI tool can't interpret the
error message back from Keycloak. I've also tried the following, but I get
a "ClassNotFound" exception when I try to import the OAuth2 error
representation:

Authenticationflowerror = Java.type("org.keycloak.authentication.
AuthenticationFlowError");
// Throws 'ClassNotFoundException
Oauth2 = Java.type("org.keycloak.representations.idm.
OAuth2ErrorRepresentation");
Response = Java.type("javax.ws.rs.core.Response");
MediaType = Java.Type("javax.ws.rs.core.MediaType");

function authenticate(context) {
  var groups = user.getGroups();
  var group_array = groups.toArray();

  for (var i in group_array) {
    var gn = group_array[i].getName();

    if (gn === "openshift-access") {
      context.success();
      return;
    }
  }
  var errorRep = new Oauth2("invalid_grant","invalid_user_credentials");
  response = Response.status(401).type(MediaType.APPLICATION_JSON_
TYPE).build();

  context.failure(AuthenticationFlowError.INVALID_CREDENTIALS, response);
  return;
}

Any ideas or assistance is appreciated.

Shane