[keycloak-user] IDToken vs AccessToken

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Jun 13 02:22:56 EDT 2017

The secured applications can be divided into 2 main groups:
- Frontend applications: Those are servlet or javascript UI
applications, which want to authenticate against Keycloak and they use
full browser based OIDC flow for it. Once OIDC flow is finished,
application will receive all 3 tokens:  access token, idToken and
refresh token.
- Bearer-only (usually REST based) applications: Those are secured by
the bearer token (access token) sent to them in the "Authorization:
Bearer" header. Usually some frontend application authenticated
previously with Keycloak send the access token to the REST based
application to authenticate particular REST request. Note that bearer
applications don't set any cookie, they don't have any session, they
don't redirect to OIDC and they don't use any other tokens beside the
access token sent to them in the header.

See our docs and demo example for more details. The applications like
"customer-portal" and "product-portal" are frontend applications when
the "database-service" is the REST based application.

Marek