[keycloak-user] Setting up realm automatically -Client Service Account Roles

Dmitry Telegin dt at acutus.pro
Wed Aug 8 09:23:16 EDT 2018

Hi Henning,

On Wed, 2018-08-08 at 09:04 +0200, Henning Waack wrote:
> Dear all.
>
> Using KC 4.2.1.
>
> I want to setup my realm and all (initial) clients automatically (using
> Ansible). Most things work, but right now I do not know how to set the
> "Client Service Account Roles". I am looking at kcadm primarily, but any
> other way to set this would be great, too.

kcadm is one of the ways to do things. It's a bit complicated with service accounts though, because first you have to retrieve service account's internal ID:

./kcadm.sh get clients/{client-id}/service-account-user

You will need to parse id out of JSON and use in subsequent calls to kcadm:

./kcadm.sh create users/{service-account-id}/role-mappings/realm -f role.json

[
    {
        "clientRole": false,
        "composite": true,
        "containerId": "master",
        "description": "${role_foo}",
        "id": "<role id>",
        "name": "foo"
    }
]

(Note that role id also needs to be retrieved first.) This will add a realm role; client roles are added a bit differently, you can go to Admin Console, perform actions and see actual URLs and payloads in F12 -> Network.

Alternatively, you can have a realm exported in JSON file with everything pre-populated, and import it on the first run (see Sebastian's answer earlier today).

Cheers,
Dmitry Telegin
CTO, Acutus s.r.o.
Keycloak Consulting and Training

Pod lipami street 339/52, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic
+42 (022) 888-30-71
E-mail: info at acutus.pro