[keycloak-user] Cross-DC Replication not working for `sessions` cache

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 05:26:16 EDT 2018

On 11/08/18 14:26, Sebastian Laskawiec wrote:

> pt., 10.08.2018, 21:59 użytkownik Hayden Fuss <hfuss at bandwidth.com
> <mailto:hfuss at bandwidth.com>> napisał:
>
>     Hello Sebastian and Marek,
>
>     Thank you very much for suggestions. We had confirmed replication
>     across the ISPN clusters was working with the CLI, so we tried
>     attaching the remote debugger but didn't find anything useful to
>     tell us why Keycloak couldn't remotely store the sessions in the
>     ISPN cluster.
>

> Thanks for letting us know.
>

>     Based on what Marek described, we decided to downgrade our ISPN
>     cluster to 8.2.8 rather than use 9.3.1 and incorporate the demo
>     code. It was our understanding that demo code would provide an SPI
>     that enabled the ISPN cluster for persistent user storage (but not
>     realms, clients, keys) which is not desirable for us as of now.
>

> Hmmm that's pretty interesting. For the Summit demo we used a fresh
> master build. So ISPN 9.x should work without any problems. Perhaps
> Marek can shed some light on this issue.
The current Keycloak master supports cross-dc integration with
infinispan server 8.2.8.Final and JDG 7.1. That's what we are testing
and what is officially described as recommended infinispan-server
version in our documentation:
https://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_installation/index.html#crossdc-mode

In the recent PR for upgrade Keycloak to Wildfly 13, there will be the
upgrade to JDG 7.2 and infinispan server to 9.2.4.Final (this is same as
the infinispan version in the Wildfly 13).

The summit demo used the infinispan server 9.3 AFAIR, but this required
some updates in the Keycloak code, which was done by overriding default
userSessions to the "updated-infinispan" provider. The code of this
updated-infinispan is in the rh-sso project sources:
https://github.com/rhdemo/rh-sso/blob/master/standalone-openshift-cfg/configuration/standalone-openshift-jdg.xml#L676-L681

Even with this overriden provider, I've tested just the Keycloak parts,
which were needed for the demo itself. I did not try to run our cross-dc
automated tests. So no guarantee that everything works as expected.

In other words, if you have a choice for the infinispan-server version
and you don't need infinispan-server 9.X, it's recommended to stay with
the infinispan-server 8.2.8.

Marek