[keycloak-user] How to differentiate between invalid credentials and a blocked user?

Scott Finlay scott.finlay at sixt.com
Tue Feb 20 05:08:13 EST 2018

Hi,

When using the Brute Force Detection it seems if a user is blocked the error message returned by the

Keycloak API is "invalid_grant: Invalid user credentials" which is the same error message returned

if the password was wrong. I understand the idea here is to prevent an attacker from knowing the difference

but from a usability perspective it would be much nicer if we could somehow inform the user if his account

is currently locked. Is there any reasonable way to do this? I'd rather not have to make an additional

API call after every failed login attempt to see if the user is blocked.

Regards,

Scott