[keycloak-user] Permissions: Slow/complex interactions

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 19:11:44 EDT 2018

We have now a performance testsuite (thanks to Tomaz) that can generate
also generate datasets to cover different scenarios. I'm the middle of
checking Tomaz work and preparing some datasets to include in our testsuite.

I'm going to give a try to your use case and see if I can get the same
numbers. Not sure if this is your case, but I found some performance issues
when defining multiple resources with a type where the owner is the
resource server itself. This causes an overhead during evaluation where the
engine tries to consider permissions granted to any of these typed
resources. Someone reported this some time ago, and IMO, this is an invalid
usage of resource types ... Not sure if this is your case though.

More answers inline.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 7:24 PM, Corentin Dupont <corentin.dupont at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Pedro Igor Silva <psilva at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Corentin Dupont <
>> corentin.dupont at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>> I experience some performance issue on my API server using Keycloak.
>>> After someone issue a GET on my API server, here is what happens:
>>>
>>> - API server -> DB server: get requested resources
>>> - API server -> Keycloak: get client token (to get resources)
>>> - API server -> Keycloak: get resources (to complement DB server with
>>> resource owner & visibility)
>>> - API server -> Keycloak: get user token (to get permission)
>>> - API server -> Keycloak: get permission (to filter resources)
>>> At this point the filtered resources are returned.
>>>
>>> But this process is quite slow. I noticed a call to KC can take up to
>>> 100ms.
>>> The complete call on the API server can take up to 600ms on my laptop, in
>>> localhost setting.
>>> The delays become noticeable on my UI...
>>>

>> Are you able to confirm the step(s) spending more time to process ? If
>> when obtaining client tokens, resources or during evaluation ?
>>

> I made a quick benchmark, here is the result:
>
> - API server -> Keycloak: get client token: 400ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get resources: 1356ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get user token: 162ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get permission: 2400ms
> Total: 4366ms
>
> However, this timings are obtained only on the first try after I reboot
> the server.
> The next calls are faster. Maybe it's due to caching?
>

> - API server -> Keycloak: get client token: 17ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get resources: 19ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get user token: 92ms
> - API server -> Keycloak: get permission: 314ms
> Total: 476ms

Yeah, it is caching. But numbers for steps #2 and #4 are high. Will see
what we can improve.

Thanks for the numbers. Wondering if you have percentiles for these
requests ? Or this happens when you send a single request ?

> So yes, it's the evaluation taking time (and user token on a lesser
> extent).
> On this call, I need to get permissions for all resources on one scope:
> permissions=#sensors:view
> Because I need to filter out the resources the user cannot see.
> There are around 70 resources and 3 policies (one user policy and 2
> javascript).
> Keycloak is in a docker container.

I'm working with more aggresive numbers, and results are better than yours.
However, all depends on how you are setting up your settings. Need to check
your setup and see if I can create a dataset based on it.

Could you send me an example of those javascript policies ? Are they doing
much ? Do you have more than one user per user policy ?