[keycloak-user] Client scopes not checked?

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Jun 19 10:55:31 EDT 2018

Hi Matthias,

Unfortunately the word "scope" is a bit overloaded in Keycloak. Few
things to clarify:

- The client scopes are those, which are referenced in OAuth2 scope
parameter. There are 2 types of this:
-- Default client scopes: they are always assigned used and will be in
access token even if you don't use any special value of "scope"
parameter sent from the application
-- Optional client scopes: they are added just if they are requested by
scope parameter. In your case, you added Optional scope "test-api-admin"
. So you will see that if you use scope parameter like "openid
test-api-admin" , it will use "test-api-admin" client scope. But if you
don't use any specific value of scope parameter by your adapter, then
"test-api-admin" won't be used

- The "Full Scope Allowed" in the tab "Scope" of the client is unrelated
to the Client Scopes. These point to Role Scope Mappings. I've tried to
clearify this a bit in the recent docs for 4.0.0.Final [1]. Let me know
if it's still unclear.

[1]
https://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_admin/index.html#scopes-explained

Marek