[keycloak-user] Performance

Hammarberg, Daniel daniel.hammarberg at capgemini.com
Thu Mar 29 07:03:52 EDT 2018

Hi Marian,

> How are you importing the users and how long is "too long"? I created my
> five million test users using the admin REST API in one overnight run
> (even when Keycloak was configured to use the default of 27500 hashing
> iterations). I didn't observe any slowdown during the course of that run.

At first, we tried using the admin REST API, but as we experienced the bad performance, we turned to using the method described on http://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_admin/index.html#_export_import

We have tried several times to run this over night in a system without any users. It runs slower and slower. After around 35000 users it stalls more or less completely.

We tried to reduce the number of hashing iterations to one, but that did not do any difference to the import performance.

What database are you running? We have a SQL Server database, where the server is shared between several systems. We don't experience much load on the database though, so we have not yet suspected the database to be the problem.

One interesting finding is that when we try to run the import locally on our laptops, we don't have any performance problems. In that case, we use the H2 database that comes with Keycloak.

Regards
/Daniel

Capgemini is a trading name used by the Capgemini Group of companies which includes Capgemini Sverige AB, a company registered in Sweden (number 556092-3053) whose registered office is at Gustavslundsvägen 131 Box 825 – S-161 24 Bromma.