[keycloak-user] Upgrade Keycloak running in Docker

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Nov 14 09:56:55 EST 2018

On 14/11/2018 14:17, So Be wrote:
> Hi,
>  I am running keycloak 3 in a docker container. Is it possible to upgrade
> to v4 or the to the latest version without pulling new image?
> The reason of my question is that I don't want to configure the realms,
> clients, etc from scratch.
>
> Do you have an advice for this?
> Thank you.

I believe you are missing the point. You can't actually upgrade without
pulling the new container.

I'm hoping you are using an external database, and not the default in
built database?

Upgrade procedure should be

- Shutdown currently running container
- Ensure you have a docker tag (other than latest) against the container
you are currently using.
- Backup database
- Pull new image
- Start new image, and it should automatically upgrade the DB to new
version.

For rollback, you can restore the DB, and start the container from
the earlier version tag.

Regards
Stuart