[keycloak-user] How to add Authorization (policies) for public clients in keycloak

Shubham Akodiya sakodiya at grepruby.com
Thu Nov 22 10:01:26 EST 2018

Hi,

I've one public client 'react' which uses the implicit grant for
authentication. Now I want to secure this app back-end APIs, thus need to
apply the authorization (policy, resource) settings. Is there any way to
use the *Authorization* settings for the public client?

As per my understanding, Authorization (policy, resource, scope) settings
does not apply for *Public (Client Protocol)* client, It only for *Credential
(Client Protocol) *client. Now the problem here is that when a user tries
to log in using *credential-keycloak-client, *In that case, we need to use
the *client_secret key* in front-end which would make the application more
vulnerable.

Let me know If my understanding is incorrect and feel free to share another
approach to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Shubham Akodiya