[keycloak-user] OIDC protocol extension

Karipineni, Neelima,M.D. NKARIPINENI at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Oct 23 12:24:15 EDT 2018

We have a use case where we’re trying to implement an OAuth2 profile which requires an extra claim on the access token when a certain auth request scope is used.
The expected behavior is that when a certain scope is present in the auth endpoint request then during the Authorization flow the user is shown an extra screen where they input an identifier which ultimately is included as a claim in the access token. Details are at http://docs.smarthealthit.org/authorization/ (Standalone launch sequence) for reference.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this in keycloak? I considered using an ActionToken like in the quickstarts external action token example, but the additional execution needs to happen even when the user has previously authenticated. It’s like an additional consent step after user and client authentication rather than an additional authentication step.

My current thought is to implement a custom LoginProtocol that wraps OIDCLoginProtocol, as shown in https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/openshift-integration/services/src/main/java/org/keycloak/protocol/kubernetes, and have an additional redirect in the authenticated method that functions similarly to the external action token example. The callback endpoint would persist the extra claim against the client session until the access token is requested.

I’m not sure it’s possible to extend the OIDC protocol within a new protocol. Preliminarily after installing a shell wrapper protocol, it’s missing the OIDC configuration properties and mappers in the admin console. Is something like this possible without copying/recreating large chunks of the OIDC code? If not, any suggestions on alternative ways to accomplish this?

As an additional wrench, we’re still on v3.3.0 and upgrade is not on the schedule as of now.

dispose of the e-mail.