[keycloak-user] Token Exchange AWS Cognito & Keycloak

Matteo Restelli mrestelli at cuebiq.com
Tue Apr 16 03:16:22 EDT 2019

Hi Pedro,
you can find, inline below, a question about the authorization services (
the last question, i promise :) ).

Thank you again,
Matteo

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:20 PM Pedro Igor Silva <psilva at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:08 AM Matteo Restelli <mrestelli at cuebiq.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Pedro,
>> Thank you for your replies and your patience :)
>> My answers inline below ;)
>>
>> Have a nice day,
>> Matteo
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 4:53 PM Pedro Igor Silva <psilva at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I would ask you to try it out and check latency and response times.
>>> Unfortunately, benchmarking is something we are lacking so we depend on
>>> feedback from the community.
>>>

>>> Maybe, another option you could consider is to aggregate your APIs so
>>> that your SPA doesn't need to interact with multiple backend services
>>> ? Where this API aggregator would be 1:1 mapped to your client and
>>> responsible for all exchanges to access downstream services.
>>>

>> So the main idea is to put a gateway in front of all the microservices,
>> so it will be the one who performs the token exchange process. To avoid
>> performance issues we can think about a caching mechanism but in this way
>> we need to investigate more (we're just evaluating the various options
>> right now ;) ). By the way, IMHO, if a user calls the gateway 300 times in
>> 3 minutes there's no reason to perform the token exchange process at every
>> call.
>>

>>> Or you could eventually use different scopes to gain access to these
>>> different services and still use the same token obtained by the client
>>> during the authentication. There is a caveat here regarding audience
>>> though, so you could maybe include some audience that logically represent
>>> your different APIs.
>>>

>> So, if i understood correctly:
>> - Client contacts gateway with a Cognito access token
>> - Gateway performs the token exchange process
>> - Depending on which service needs to be called, the gateway requests
>> scopes to Keycloak with the access token minted by Keycloak. Is this right?
>> Or requesting scopes is done in the token exchange process?
>>
>> So i've some concepts regarding scopes that i read around on the
>> Internet, and for what i've understood, a scope represents what an oauth2
>> client can do:
>> - You need to call service A, perform a read operation
>> - You request the custom scope read_service_a
>>
>> I'm lacking the link between those scopes and the authorization part. How
>> are they linked with the authorization services in Keycloak? If a user
>> isn't authorized to do something, will never receive the related scope? Or
>> are they completely separated concepts?
>>

> There is no link between the two. I was considering a regular OAuth2
> authorization where you would rely on the scopes granted by the server. I
> think I missed the authorization services part in your first message :)

Ah ok. We are planning to store the authorization data into keycloak
(something like user X has the permission to access to resource Y and to
perform on it the action Z) in order to have this kind of information
inside the access token minted by Keycloak during the exchange process.
Once the resource server gets the token it will authorize or not the
access. Do you think this could be the right way? It could be feasible, in
your opinion?