[keycloak-user] Custom password hashing in user federation

Simon Levermann simon at slevermann.de
Wed Aug 14 06:36:57 EDT 2019

Hello,

in our custom user database, we have passwords hashed by bcrypt (or
argon2). As far as I can see we have 2 ways of verifying these passwords:

1) Create a PasswordHashProvider via SPI, and teach it how to use the
hashing algorithms.

2) Include the hashing algorithms as a dependency of our UserProvider,
and do it internally via implementing CredentialInputValidator.

Which of these options is the recommended way to do this?

Cheers,

Simon