[keycloak-user] Using urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu Aug 22 03:08:13 EDT 2019

Not quite following your use-case. What type of application are
you referring to?

urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob is generally useful for a CLI where there is no
browser. It will make Keycloak output the authorization code and the user
is required to copy/paste this to the application that can then use it to
obtain tokens.

OAuth 2.0 device authorization grant is a slightly better flow than the
above. We have a open design proposal for it here
https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak-community/pull/6, but so far we don't
have any contributions around it.

Finally, you can also use OAuth2 resource owner credential grant which
allows exchanging user credentials directly with a token without redirect.
This flow is rather limited do as you need to hardcode credential
collection in the application which makes it not very flexible (no support
for webauthn in the future, no support for identity brokering, etc..). It
also poses a security risk as you are exposing user credentials directly to
the applications, which will give applications potential to access
everything the user can and not just what the user can access for the
specific application, which is not great in a SSO scenario.