[keycloak-user] Permission Handling After Keycloak 4.5.0

Jahn, Lasse Lasse.Jahn at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jul 3 13:27:36 EDT 2019

Hey everyone,

I'm running Keycloak Server Version 4.5.0.Final according to the dockerfile from jboss shown in the dockerhub [1] with only changed keycloak version. (Took the tools from [2])

During developing I noticed that there is an Endpoint missing that I wanted to use (request a group list which have specific client role, for users this enpoint exists

GET /{realm}/clients/{id}/roles/{role-name}/users

In Keycloak 6.0 this also exists for groups.
GET /{realm}/clients/{id}/roles/{role-name}/groups

So I thought why not migrating to 6.0. After successful upgrade I realized that there is no permission tab?!
I wanted to handle the permissions of a user to be a client admin as explained in the documentation [3] but this was not possible.

I thougth that maybe that the docker image does not include everything, so I downloaded all at the keycloak.org available server distributions and run them via standalone.sh (4.8, 5.0, 6.0) all with the same result, there is no permission Tab ?!

Is the documentation not updated and there is a way to enable the permission tab or how can I fullfill the mentioned scenario (client admin which is allowed to map roles) ?

Regards
Lasse

[1] https://hub.docker.com/r/jboss/keycloak/dockerfile
[2] https://github.com/jboss-dockerfiles/keycloak/tree/4.5.0.Final/server