[keycloak-user] Question about CBAC + Pushing Claims + Authorization Scopes

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 17:19:25 EDT 2019

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:13 AM Álvaro Gómez <
alvaro.gomez.gimenez at tecsisa.com> wrote:

> 1.- The policy "Is-Product-Manager", involved in the permission
> "product:update", should only check if the Requesting Party is
> "Product-Manager" in the context of the tenants which contains "update" in
> the values of the claims. In the example, the policy "Is-Product-Manager",
> when evaluated for the permission "product:update", should only check if
> the Requesting Party is "Product-Manager" in the context of
> "Organization-2" since it makes no sense to check if it's "Product-Manager"
> in "Organization-1" (The "update" scope was only requested for
> "Organization-2"). This could be solved by creating a policy
> "Is-Product-Manager:update" (which only checks tenants associated to the
> scope "update" in the pushing claims) but we found this solution a bit
> tricky.

Could you share how the "Is-Product-Manager" looks like?

> 2.- If a Requesting Party requested access to the scope "update" along
> with other scope "read" in the context of "Organization-2" without being
> "Product-Manger" in such organization (which implies it can "read" but not
> "update" a product in that organization), we would end up with the
> following permission (The first time you request an RPT, Keycloak returns
> the granted scopes even though they are not the whole requested scopes):
>
> {
>   "resource": "product",
>   "resource_scopes": ["read"],
>   "claims": {
>     "Organization-2": ["update", "read"]
>   }
> }
>

> As we can see, the granted scope is only "read" but the pushed claims in
> "Organization-2" are both "update" and "read" (We requested both scopes in
> the ticket). The claim becomes inconsistent since the scope "update" should
> be removed and keycloak is not able to do so since it does not understand
> our custom claims. If claims were natively grouped by scopes, Keycloak
> would clean claims from not-granted scopes. Wdyt?

Based on your description, the permission looks correct given that only
"read" was granted but not "update" for org-2. So if you try to update a
resource in org-2 you should be blocked. I guess your point is that
"update" is still as a claim for org-2 ?

FYI, from JS policies you should be able to remove/add claims from
permissions so that you have more control over what is sent back to your
application. As well as, push back claims so that you can advertise actions
or anything else that the resource server should do before granting access
to a resource. Maybe this can be an alternative.