[keycloak-user] How do I integrate with a SAML federation

chamila chamila.sujeewa at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 21:48:18 EDT 2019

Hi,

IIUC I had a similar requirement, described in thread [1], where a SAML
only SP did not support multiple IdPs (in this case, these were different
KeyCloak realms themselves). We arrived at the IdP federation approach
after discussing internally and implemented that successfully, in the
browser flow.

Basically, each realm was added as a separate federated OIDC IdP in a
"broker" realm. A SAML client was created in the broker realm and the SP
was pointed to that. During authentication, the user is shown all the
realms as federated IdP options in the login form, and when selected the
user will be able to authenticate against the required realm. With a set of
mappers associated with each IdP configuration, a well-formed SAML
assertion could be returned to the SP to do role mapping successfully. I
haven't used SATOSA but from a brief glance, looks like SAML<->SAML flow is
the same as what KC provides OOTB.

Hope this helps too :)

[1] - https://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/keycloak-user/2019-July/018721.html

Regards,