[keycloak-user] Getting grant from access token

Dmitry Telegin demetrio at carretti.pro
Fri Jun 28 16:55:59 EDT 2019

Hello Seán, welcome on board :)

Yes, what you want is doable, however with a few customizations. The "theory" here is that different flows (authorization code / implicit / hybrid) are triggered by different incoming response_type param values [2], and this param is exposed to Keycloak authentication layer. However, token generation happens at a different layer, and you'll need to bridge them together.

- run Keycloak with -Dkeycloak.profile=preview or -Dkeycloak.profile.feature.script=enabled [1];
- in your browser flow, create a script authenticator. Its authenticate() method body should consist only of a couple of lines:

    var response_type = authenticationSession.clientNotes.response_type;
    authenticationSession.setUserSessionNote("response_type", response_type);
    context.success();

- go to client settings -> Mappers, create a User Session Note mapper and map "response_type" note into a claim. Your application will need analyze this claim and make an allow/deny decision;
- alternatively, you can craft a more sophisticated JS mapper that would look into response_type and infer flow type from it, putting it into a custom claim.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

[1] https://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_installation/index.html#profiles
[2] https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-core-1_0.html#Authentication

Good luck,
Dmitry Telegin

Carretti Consulting OÜ | Keycloak Consulting and Training
Sepapaja 6, Tallinn 15551, Estonia | info at carretti.pro