[keycloak-user] Service account token mappers?

Gary Kennedy gary at apnic.net
Mon May 6 19:38:43 EDT 2019

> On 3 May 2019, at 8:38 am, Dmitry Telegin <demetrio at carretti.pro> wrote:
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> To ensure proper "resource_access" claim, you can simply assign the necessary roles to your service account (client -> Service Account Roles -> Client Roles -> realm-management). Does that work for you?

Unfortunately no.

The roles are set, however they are not presented in the token, eg no "resource_access" claim.

And because of the missing "resource_access" claim, using the token with the admin API results in 403 forbidden.

> If you still need to use mappers, there are numerous ways to determine if the token was issued for a service account. For example, in your JS mapper you could look for "preferred_username" claim, its value will look like "service-account-<your-client>".

Thanks. I previously explicitly tried the built-in "client roles" mapper for the client as well as creating a "user client role" mapper manually (not at the same time) and they were not adding the claim to the token so I assumed wrongly that the client mappers were not being used for the service account token.

Using a script mapper (and a hardcoded claim mapper) works in that the service account token has the configured claims from those mappers. It seems like the "user client roles" mapper type is being filtered from the applied protocol mappers here.

The mapper is applied to user tokens as well (of course) but at least using a script mapper will allow me to hack in the "resource_access" claim as I want. I'd like to do the right thing and have the script mapper use actual roles but I may have to fall back to hardcoding the claim value, we'll see how much effort is needed and that I'm allowed to put in :p.