[keycloak-user] How to get the role -> permissions for an authenticated user

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Thu May 23 10:49:11 EDT 2019

There is no way to automatically set the permissions (from a client
authorization settings) when an access token is issued. Like you said, you
need another call to the token endpoint using the uma-grant-type.

However, your web application will make that call only once in order to
exchange the access token with another one with the permissions you need to
access your backend. Your client should also be able to perform incremental
authorization and limit the numbers of permissions within the token.

Using a pure RBAC approach also works for your case, I think. Although you
are limited to RBAC (thus tied with the roles you are using to protect
resources) and not able to use resource-based authorization.