[mod_cluster-dev] [Fwd: mod-cluster and domains]

jean-frederic clere jclere at redhat.com
Sat Jul 18 02:54:08 EDT 2009

On 07/17/2009 06:54 PM, Paul Ferraro wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 16:51 +0200, Bela Ban wrote:
>> Resent as the mod-cluster list didn't receive it

There is a JIRA for his one. (MODCLUSTER-50)

>> *#2a: How do I know when all sessions of all nodes of a given domain
>> have expired ?*
>>
>> This is necessary to know when I can shut down all nodes of a given domain
>
> mod_manager reports the number of active sessions per node.  This logic
> isn't completely accurate - as it defines an "active" session as one
> that was accessed within the last 5 minutes.
> To get accurate active session counts from each server in a domain,
> you'll need to verify the activeSessions attribute of the individual
> jboss.web:type=Manager,* mbeans via jmx-console, or similar.
>
> The plan is to implement stop(...) management methods (i.e. for graceful
> shutdown) that disables the node, waits for all sessions to drain, then
> stops the node.
> We'll allow this per domain as well.

All that logic goes in the JAVA part.

>> *#3 Starting an entire domain in disabled mode*
>>
>> I want to start all nodes, one by one, in a given domain as *disabled*
>> (all webapps). Is it sufficient to just start all nodes as disabled ? Is
>> it possible to start a node in disabled mode at all ?
>
> This is not possible, atm.

We should need a table (shared information) on the domain and for the
moment the domain is just an information of the node.

>> *#4 Enabling an entire domain*
>>
>> When all nodes in a domain have been started as disabled (step #3), I'd
>> like to tell the httpds to enable all (or a selected set of) webapps in
>> a given domain, in all nodes of that domain. Is this possible ?
>
> In general, we have not yet implemented per-domain management functionality.
> I'll create JIRAs for these.
>
>> The point behind these 4 questions is that I want to demo how to disable
>> a domain, shut it down, upgrade the HW/SW, start it again, and re-enable it.

It is "easy" to add a command in the mod_cluster-manager that disable
all the nodes corresponding to a domain. The scenario of the demo would be:
1 - dissable domain x
2 - show that an existing session still uses the domain.
3 - show that a new session goes to another domain.
4 - stop the domain (HW/SW).
5 - show that an existing session give an error (sticky) or failover (if
not sticky).
6 - start it again and show that it is re-enabled.
Does that fit your needs?

Cheers

Jean-Frederic