[mod_cluster-dev] clustered mod_cluster?

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 05:48:45 EDT 2009

On Oct 21, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Bela Ban wrote:

> This doesn't work currently, as the apache mod-cluster instances
> don't exchange information about their states, e.g. which sticky
> session is routed to which worker.
>
> No wait, I guess I'm wrong: they don't need to !
>
> Say we have Apaches A1 and A2, and workers W1, W2 and W3.
>
> If a client request hits A2 and A2 creates a new session on W3, then
> the session id is going to be SESSION.W3. When the same client now
> hits A1, A1 should actually also route the request to W3 ! This of
> course assumes that all workers have registered with all Apache
> daemons.

Yes, I'm assuming that.

> So IMO we don't even need to exchange routing information between
> the Apache daemons... can someone confirm this ?

Good catch, I'll try this today and will let you know!

> This is with sticky session. If you turn this off, you can pick any
> Apache to route your request, and the route will be different every
> time. In this case, you'd have to use synchronous replication to
> prevent potentially stale data between 2 requests for the same
> session going to different workers.

Yes, we're talking about sticky sessions only, because those who don't
want to have sticky sessions, don't want sessions at all, I think. In
other words if I care about sessions, I want to have sticky sessions
too, otherwise I'm not interested in sticky sessions. Am I wrong?

--Marek