[mod_cluster-dev] Using mod_cluster for backgroud services

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Tue Sep 21 03:31:01 EDT 2010

Hi,

I understand mod_cluster can distribute load across several jboss nodes.
This seems great for load balancing incoming requests, but I'm looking for
a solution to load balance internal system processes.

Say I have a cluster of 4 nodes, monitoring 400 hosts and updating a
central database with the statistics.
So as a general rule, the system should
- Balance so each node would monitor ~100 hosts.
- Take each node load into consideration during load balance
- Prefer some affinity/stickiness
- Balance itself when a node goes down/up

So all very similar to mod_cluster, only I'd like to balance internal
work, rather than incoming requests.

is this something mod_cluster could help with?

Thanks,
   Itamar