ThreadRenamingRunnable

Nicholas Clare nickclare at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 05:43:17 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've been reading through the Netty sources, to try to get a better
idea of what's happening under the covers. One thing that has
interested me is the use of ThreadRenamingRunnable. I'm currently
planning a system that would use Netty for two different things at the
same time. So there will be a Netty server socket for receiving client
connections, and then another Netty server and client for
intra-cluster communication. So my question is, would it be possible
to disable Netty from renaming my threads, so that I can name them
myself. Otherwise I imagine I'll have many "New I/O server worker
#X-Y" threads, which would be harder to debug than "Cluster Worker
#X", and "Client Worker #Y", in my opinion. It's not really a very
serious problem, but I'm just wondering why it was decided to do the
renaming, rather than allowing people to name their own threads?

Thanks,
Nick