SSLException in SslHandler; based on SecureChat example

Trustin Lee trustin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 01:36:31 EDT 2009

The following attachment is the test code I used to reproduce the problem.
It's a simple regression test that performs a lot of concurrent handshake,
which is suspected to cause the weird 'null key' exception.

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2681120/Test.java Test.java

You might want to comment out the sentences that insert ExecutionHandler.  I
was not able to reproduce the problem either with or without
ExecutionHandler anyway.  Bryan, could you try to reproduce on your side
modifying the test code attached in this post?

Thanks in advance,
Trustin

Trustin Lee-2 wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
>
> Thanks for coming back with the QA result.  I appreciate that.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no clue why this issue is standing still.  How
> often can you reproduce the issue?  I run JUnit tests that include SSL
> test every 30 seconds, but couldn't see the exception ever since
> 3.1.0.ALPHA4.  That is, I didn't see the exception for more than a
> month.  It might just become more difficult to reproduce. :-(
>
> It would be really nice if you could provide me a test application
> that reproduces the problem.  Then it might be easier to track down
> this tricky issue.  I will keep trying to reproduce the problem, too.
>
> BTW, the exception is being raised during handshake process, so the
> client can simply reconnect to work around this issue.
>
> — Trustin Lee, http://gleamynode.net/
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:19 PM, bwagner <bwagner at mpowertrading.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Trustin,
>>
>> We've been using Netty 3.1.0-Beta1 in QA and development for about a week
>> and unfortunately we're still getting the same error with the same stack
>> trace (I made sure I removed all references to 3.0.2 in our project and
>> removed the jar from our SVN entirely).  I will say that it definitely
>> "feels" like it happens much less often now.  I will take the latest
>> nightly
>> build and continue our testing with it.
>>
>> This is the kind of problem that happens so infrequently that I think I
>> can
>> probably suggest a simple work around (i.e. add a node to the pipeline
>> before the SslHandler that does try/catch n times); I'll be taking a
>> closer
>> look soon and if I find a work-around I'll post how we're doing it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bryan
>> --

-----
Trustin Lee, Principal Software Engineer, JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://gleamynode.net/