udprelay in netty

montanero roland.bergler at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 08:34:41 EST 2009

I'm a netty beginner and trying to implement an application similar to
udprelay. I am currently stuck in a very early stage of this project and
hope one of you could hint me in the right direction.

I need to implement an udp server accepting on a single socket datagrams
from multiple clients. Each client is identified by its remote IP address.
For each client I need to keep some state, so I think I need to have a
pipeline for every client, somehow related to a single NioDatagramChannel.
For each message arriving at the channel I have to find the correct pipeline
and forward this message to the correct pipeline, for each downstream
message I have to send this message through the same channel.

How should I start? Should I implement a custom channel class doing the
demultiplexing? Or is there some other way?

Any help is appreciated.

Greetings
Roland