Determining request-response performance with long-lived connections

kcounsell keith.counsell at billmelater.com
Wed Feb 11 11:01:58 EST 2009

I am working on a Netty 3.0.2GA server application with long-lived client
connections.  Our responses can be returned out of order to the client
requests, and I am interested in tracking the full response time for a
single request-response.

My plan so far is to maintain state based on a message identifier and the
channel.  The decoder would establish the start time and the encoder would
determine the end time.

Does this seem reasonable?  Is there a better way that I'm missing?

Thanks for the framework -- it's very helpful.

Regards,
Keith