HTTP server message followed by junk closes before reply

Wade Poziombka wpoziombka at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 12 12:00:34 EST 2009

The situation is that a valid HTTP request is followed by some invalid data.
The issue is that the HTTP codec notes decoding error before the reply for
the first valid message is sent.

Now we don't want to single thread a socket but HTTP should honor the
semantics of pipelining per RFC 2616.  If I read section "8.1.2.2
Pipelining" properly it seems the server should reply to the first message
then close the connection as a result of the second (although not explicitly
called out).

So the question is: can we receive notification that a connection SHOULD be
closed then close after we've successfully sent the reply?

The larger question is how is pipelining supported in Netty?  How would one
implement such support?