Clients crashing a Netty Server using LengthFieldBasedFrameDecoder

phi6 phidinh6 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 05:57:16 EDT 2009

I've come across a problem which is a little bit worrying, so want to ask you
guys for advice if I've done the right thing or not.

In my pipeline I have a LengthFieldBasedFrameDecoder, which basically looks
at the first 2 bytes (short int) and then stripping it out to determine the
length of the rest of the message.

Now, I accidentally sent a message with some bytes representing a UTF8
string (the content) but forgot to prepend it with the 2 byte header. So it
seems that the decoder could no longer resolve the length of the message
(not sure what is happening there) but from this point the server is unable
to receive messages from that or any other client. I am able to connect
clients fine, but messages doesn't seem to be propagating through the
pipeline.

Any ideas? Let me know if this is clear