Too many open files error with Netty

Trustin Lee (이희승) trustin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:42:52 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Trustin Lee (이희승) <trustin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Albert,
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Albert Strasheim <fullung at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Trustin

>>> I am seeing the same behaviour on Linux, but the
>>> NioClientSocketChannel leak causes the process to come to a halt
>>> before I start seeing any "Too many open files" errors.
>>
>> Have you had a chance to look at this yet?
>
> I'm investigating this issue right now.  Sorry about the delay.  I
> will get back to you again soon.

My observation so far is that the file descriptors are released in the
slower rate then the creation rate.  For some reason, the file
descriptor are not released immediately.  In the long term, the file
descriptors of the closed sockets are released completely according to
'lsof'.  Release rate is a problem though - I will keep investigating.

-- Trustin Lee, http://gleamynode.net/