Netty with unix domain sockets

Holger Hoffstätte holger.hoffstaette at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:52:39 EDT 2009

Utkarsh Srivastava wrote:
> I was hoping to avoid going through the TCP/IP stack and the extra
> context switch. Still evaluating whether its worth the trouble.

That would be ~20usecs saved. Alternatively there's always shared memory
but then you're looking at even more work and worse portability (look at
http://jfs.des.udc.es/ for great inspiration). However you will need
native code in either case.

> I didn't quite get what you meant by "strictly 1:1". You can do the
> usual, bind() followed by accept() routine with unix domain sockets as well.

Yes, you are right - sorry about that. I confused it with the limited
bidirectionality. (late)

cheers
Holger