Potential race condition attempting to prevent OutOfMemoryError writing messages from client to service and visa versa using a proxy server

cgrogan catherine.grogan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:47:51 EDT 2010

Just as a follow-up to the initial post.  The code as posted will run within
the one/same virtual machine - we've done some additional tests and can
confirm that we observe the same issues when the servers are ran on
separately on different virtual machines.

Also we've been reviewing the recent post
http://netty-forums-and-mailing-lists.685743.n2.nabble.com/NIO-OutOfMemory-Errors-with-HexDumpProxy-example-tp5354843.html
NIO OutOfMemory Errors with HexDumpProxy example  (and it's corresponding
Jira ticket  https://jira.jboss.org/browse/NETTY-348 NETTY-348 )

Even though we're not doing precisely the same thing both posts are trying
to resolve similar problems. Fundamentally both are trying to resolve the
issues with OutOfMemory problems in a proxy but with slightly different
traffic throttling solutions.
In our post we no longer get the OutOfMemory error but we appear to be
hitting some sort of race condition or something which is hanging the code
whereas the other post is still getting the OutOfMemory error.

Is there a recommended way / example of how traffic throttling should be
achieved with Netty in a proxy server?

Thanks again.
--
View this message in context: http://netty-forums-and-mailing-lists.685743.n2.nabble.com/Potential-race-condition-attempting-to-prevent-OutOfMemoryError-writing-messages-from-client-to-servr-tp5392146p5439685.html