setting a new ReadTimeoutHandler for every single write?

stabilit joel.traber at stabilit.ch
Thu Aug 19 10:46:03 EDT 2010

Hi guys

I am trying to implement an operation timeout for sending messages. So far i
use Netty ReadTimeoutHandler to time the operation. If the reply is
outstanding at the time a ReadTimeoutException gets raised i close the
connection and clean up.
Now operation timeout varies for message content.

May i set a new ReadTimeoutHandler for every write or is it very
inefficient/not designed for that and i better use a separate Timer? I may
have 500 requests over 500 Channels at the same time so solution should deal
with resources.

Did anyone implement similar functionality yet? Or have any suggestion how
to implement an operation timeout efficiently?

Thanks in advance, joël