MixinPipeline, or more generally ideas for structuring pipelines.

rzo rzo at gmx.de
Sat Jan 16 03:43:26 EST 2010

Hello,

with this post I would like to initiate a discussion on enhancements for
pipeline.

Within my asynch hessian patch I have implemented a "MixinPipeline".
That is an implementation of a Pipeline, which allows to insert a
pipeline or remove a pipeline
to/from an existing pipeline.

Another idea I had for the "WAF" example which I posted was to implement
"parallel" pipelines.
eg the ability to send an incoming buffer along multiple parallel
pipelines, synchronize their processing, etc.

I think that implementing generic methods/classes for this kind of
operations would be great and will enable
to use building blocks within netty. It will also enable to use existing
pipeline factories from other applications by
just combining them. Something in the line of:

bootstrap.addLastPipelineFactory("httpTunnelServerPipeline", ...)
bootstrap.addParallelPipelineFactory("httpTunnelServerPipeline",
"wafPipeline", ...)
bootstrap.addLastPipelineFactory("asycHessianServerPipeline", ...)

What do you think ?

-- Ron