Peaks in Channel.write()

Squigly squigly at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 03:52:56 EDT 2010

Hello all.

When using NioServerSocketChannelFactory with
Executors.newCachedThreadPool(), the average write(obj) times I'm seeing are
around 0.2-0.3 millis. (Measured through a FutureListener).
(There's only 1 active connection).
Every once in a while, there's a write() that takes 8 - 9 millis.
After about 3-4 hours of work (with a few 10K messages broadcast) every once
in a while, there's a jump where a write() takes 30-40 millis and I've
recorded some that took even 60-100.

All the messages are of the same size (~15 bytes).

Any idea what's going on?

off topic: When using OioServerSocket, I'm getting write() times of 0.02
millis and even less. is there a good explanation as to why the huge decrees
in write times?

Regards