Shutting down a netty client when an exception occurs

gurrie gurrie at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 05:08:41 EST 2010

Hi,

Looking at the netty documentation, the correct way to cleanly shutdown a
client is to :

1. Close the channel
2. Release the external resources

What are the correct steps to follow in the event of an exception occurring?
If we follow the steps mentioned above, we seem to end up in an infinite
loop as the releaseExternalResources call is trying to shutdown the thread
that is actually calling releaseExternalResources,

Kind Regards
Brian