Exception on connect being caught by response handler

jgalyan jgalyan at adbrite.com
Tue Nov 30 16:01:18 EST 2010

Here's a stack trace for a new exception I'm seeing since the address of one
of my testing servers changed.  I'm confused about what's happening here,
but I suspect it may be related to the main topic of this thread, so I'm
including it here.  Note that the message "Marking down host cache3:11212"
below is coming from the operationComplete method in the
ChannelFutureListener, after determining that the connection attempt failed.
My code doesn't attempt to write to the channel unless the connection
attempt succeeds, so I don't know why it appears the exception is getting
pushed through the pipeline.

java.nio.channels.UnresolvedAddressException
	at sun.nio.ch.Net.checkAddress(Net.java:30)
	at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.connect(SocketChannelImpl.java:487)
	at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink.connect(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:140)
Marking down host cache3:11212
	at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink.eventSunk(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:103)
	at
org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.oneone.OneToOneEncoder.handleDownstream(OneToOneEncoder.java:60)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.connect(Channels.java:541)
	at
org.jboss.netty.channel.AbstractChannel.connect(AbstractChannel.java:218)
	at
org.jboss.netty.bootstrap.ClientBootstrap.connect(ClientBootstrap.java:227)
	at
org.jboss.netty.bootstrap.ClientBootstrap.connect(ClientBootstrap.java:188)
	at
com.adbrite.netty.memcache.MemcacheClient.sendMultiGets(MemcacheClient.java:82)
	at
com.adbrite.netty.memcache.MemcacheClient.sendMultiGetRequest(MemcacheClient.java:67)
	at
com.adbrite.contextual.ContextualCacheServiceHandler.sendZoneInfoRequest(ContextualCacheServiceHandler.java:351)
	at
com.adbrite.contextual.ContextualCacheServiceHandler.sendOutboundDataRequests(ContextualCacheServiceHandler.java:256)
	at
com.adbrite.contextual.ContextualCacheServiceHandler.messageReceived(ContextualCacheServiceHandler.java:117)
	at
com.adbrite.contextual.ContextualCacheJMXDumpHandler.messageReceived(ContextualCacheJMXDumpHandler.java:195)
	at
com.adbrite.contextual.ContextualCacheVersionCheckHandler.messageReceived(ContextualCacheVersionCheckHandler.java:42)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:302)
	at
org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.unfoldAndfireMessageReceived(ReplayingDecoder.java:523)
	at
org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.callDecode(ReplayingDecoder.java:507)
	at
org.jboss.netty.handler.codec.replay.ReplayingDecoder.messageReceived(ReplayingDecoder.java:444)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:274)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.Channels.fireMessageReceived(Channels.java:261)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.read(NioWorker.java:350)
	at
org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.processSelectedKeys(NioWorker.java:281)
	at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioWorker.run(NioWorker.java:201)
	at
org.jboss.netty.util.internal.IoWorkerRunnable.run(IoWorkerRunnable.java:46)
	at
	at
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)