[resteasy-dev] RESTEasy and possible "community" contribution

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Wed May 4 13:01:39 EDT 2016

On 05/04/2016 11:36 AM, Weinan Li wrote:
> --
> Weinan Li / JBoss
>
>> On May 4, 2016, at 8:02 PM, Rostislav Svoboda <rsvoboda at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Structure:
>> - why is there one module jaxrs in the root of repo - https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy ?
> It's added by Bill but I forget the reason. I don't like it either :-) We can remove it now as JAX-RS is moved outside RESTEasy repo.
>
>> - there are too many modules (in root jaxrs module) from my perspective
>>    -- multi module project structure can affect build time
>>    -- find . | grep pom.xml | wc -l reports 226 pom.xml files
> The 'example' module contains all the Bill's book examples. We need to ask him for permission to move these away.

They go into the distribution zip file.

>>    -- find . | grep pom.xml | grep -v arquillian | grep -v exam | grep -v test | wc -l reports 58 pom.xml files
>> - not clear where is the real code and what is just add-odd like examples, book stuff
>> - naming of modules in not in sync, some are starting resteasy-*, some do not have such prefix
>>
>> Commits:
>> - commit messages do not follow same/similar format - see https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commits/master
>>    -- I would expect jira id at the beginning of the commit message, it's there sometime but in different format - e.g. RESTEASY-1328 vs. [RESTEASY-1331]

Even better is the whole URL, so you can click and go there.

>> - massive commit message like https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/commit/fdd1f9f31edb894fa6f8684f2608224c39519e6c
>> - commit related to RESTEASY-1323 are really "fun"
>>    -- https://github.com/resteasy/Resteasy/pull/756/files
>>    -- one fix in code (4 lines removed) + two tests done in 7 commits :(
>>    -- these commits should have been squashed
> +1
>
>> Versions:
>> - will leave this to Tomaz :)
>>
>> TS:
>> - unit tests are mixed with integration tests
>>    -- integration tests should be in separate module
>>    -- tests should be running in different maven phases
>> - there are only few tests against WF
>> - such tests are not executed against latest WF, but mainly against WF 8

At some point I started adding new arquillian tests to RESTEASY-TEST-WF8
to reduce the number of times wildfly starts up. I have a
RESTEASY-TEST-WF10, but it depends on JDK 1.8, so it's not activated yet.

>> - I would like to see ARQ + WF10+ and get rid of tjws
> Get ridding of TJWS is not practical because it will make the test time unacceptable. But replacing them with undertow container would be great :-)

A lot of tests just don't depend on the environment. I create arquillian
tests only when the environment seems to matter. I agree it would be
nice to use undertow, but who's going to take the time to do that?

>> EAP 7 situation for TS:
>> - we migrated upstream ts to use ARQ and run against EAP 7 and not tjws
>> - we discovered half of reported issues thanks to this migrated TS, these issues wouldn't be noticed bu community TS executed against tjws
> Totally removing TJWS is also not possible, because many users are using this 'internal' feature in their production env. We can't estimate how the impact will be.

Yeah, I learned that only recently. I'm amazed. But it's true: "If it's
there, they'll use it."

> We can try to remove TJWS for testing purposes in RESTEasy project itself. But the RESTEasy TJWS module should be maintained as a feature.
>
>>    -- 19 from 38 jiras - https://issues.jboss.org/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20JBEAP%20AND%20issuetype%20%3D%20Bug%20AND%20resolution%20in%20%28Unresolved%2C%20Done%2C%20%22Out%20of%20Date%22%29%20AND%20component%20%3D%20REST
>> - we will keep this TS for 7.0.z
>> - we would like to consume & prod-patch upstream (ARQ + WF based) TS for the future releases
>>
>> Upstream and QE specific TS should somehow converge into a single one.
> +1
>
>> My feeling is that (upstream) TS should be a bit isolated from the rest to make it easier for QE to test against products - like EAP.
>> Something similar what is in JBWS and maybe even beyond - no dependency on parent to have deps clearly defined.
>> For JBWS we consume upstream ts, patch it little bit + use prod based dependencies.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Rostislav

My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)