[resteasy-dev] RESTEasy and possible "community" contribution

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Thu May 5 12:06:35 EDT 2016

On 05/05/2016 10:34 AM, Jim Ma wrote:
> On 05/05/2016 09:21 PM, Rostislav Svoboda wrote:
>>> They go into the distribution zip file.
>>>
>> ok, proper isolation in project as suggested by Alession is probably the best option.
>> And there will be no regression in stuff delivered in zip.
> Should we move these examples under distribution module ? These examples
> should not be placed in same level with core module.

>>> Even better is the whole URL, so you can click and go there.
>> Not so sure, [RESTEASY-xxx] is the best option from my side, jira can handle integration / parsing of commit messages
> Agree. [RESTEASY-XXX]: with some description should be enough. We are
> composing
> commit message this way for wildfly, cxf and jbossws-cxf.

>>> At some point I started adding new arquillian tests to RESTEASY-TEST-WF8
>>> to reduce the number of times wildfly starts up. I have a
>>> RESTEASY-TEST-WF10, but it depends on JDK 1.8, so it's not activated yet.
>> Shouldn't be JDK 8 the default ?
>> Public JDK 7 is not receiving updates for 1 year - see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html or http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html
>> Last release was April 2015

>>> A lot of tests just don't depend on the environment. I create arquillian
>> But there are tests which pass on tjws, but failed with WF10 / EAP7, you can check the jira link I shared in previous email or see below
>>
>>> tests only when the environment seems to matter. I agree it would be
>>> nice to use undertow, but who's going to take the time to do that?
>> There is product TS which can be reused / pulled back.

>> Well, I'm surprised about tjws use in production environment
>>
>> quick check shows this:
>> resteasy-jaxrs-3.0.16.Final-redhat-1.jar | grep tjws
>>           0  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/
>>        2015  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/TJWSServletDispatcher.class
>>        2110  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/TJWSServletServer$FileMappingServe.class
>>        5244  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/TJWSServletServer.class
>>        1467  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/AuthenticatedHttpServletRequest.class
>>        3172  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/TJWSRequestPreProcessor.class
>>        3136  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/TJWSEmbeddedJaxrsServer.class
>>        2854  02-22-2016 03:06   org/jboss/resteasy/plugins/server/tjws/PatchedHttpServletRequest.class
>> resteasy-spring-3.0.16.Final-redhat-1.jar | grep tjws
>>           0  02-22-2016 03:09   org/jboss/resteasy/springmvc/tjws/
>>        2034  02-22-2016 03:09   org/jboss/resteasy/springmvc/tjws/TJWSEmbeddedSpringMVCServer.class
>>        1794  02-22-2016 03:09   org/jboss/resteasy/springmvc/tjws/TJWSSpringMVCDispatcher.class
>>        2809  02-22-2016 03:09   org/jboss/resteasy/springmvc/tjws/TJWSEmbeddedSpringMVCServerBean.class
>>

>> Do you know more about customer use-cases ?

> [...]

Until someone told me recently that they use TJWS in production (can't
remember the context), I thought of it as purely internal to Resteasy.
As far as I know, we've never really supported it in any sense, and, as
far as I can recall, I've NEVER touched the TJWS code, other than to
allow passing context parameters into
org.jboss.resteasy.test.EmbeddedContainer. I think it's perfectly
reasonable to

1. Migrate Resteasy away from TJWS.
2. Keep TJWS available for people that currently use it, but make it
clear it's not supported.

My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)