[resteasy-dev] tjws

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Tue May 31 21:14:22 EDT 2016

Hi guys,

After slogging through as many bug JIRAs as possible for 3.0.17.Final, I
felt like I needed to do something different for a while, so I started
looking at non-blocking IO for JAX-RS 2.1. One of the issues I ran into
is the servlet version problem. Even though resteasy-jaxrs declares a
dependency on servlet 3.1, its dependency on tjws brings in servlet 2.5,
which gets in the way of using servlet 3.1. I've done some refactoring:

  1) moved everything related to tjws from resteasy-jaxrs to tjws

  2) moved all tests (except i18n tests) from resteasy-jaxrs to
resteasy-jaxrs-testsuite (so resteasy-jaxrs doesn't depend on tjws)

  3) removed the dependency of resteasy-jaxrs on tjws

  4) created a dependency of tjws on resteasy-jaxrs

I thought I'd ask for comments before I create a pull request. Two
points come to mind:

1) Originally, resteasy-jaxrs-testsuite was created to hold tests
specifically related to JAX-RS 2.0 (hence the nextgen packages). The
plan was to upgrade all of the old tests to use JAX-RS 2.0 stuff like
the new client framework, but it never happened. This might be a good
time to do that.

2) I know we've talked about what to do with tjws, but I don't know if
we reached a conclusion. This would be a good time to deprecate it, if
we're going to do that.

-Ron

--
My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)