[resteasy-dev] RESTEASY-1486 and jackson

Ron Sigal rsigal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 12:10:51 EDT 2016

Hi Alessio,

On 09/26/2016 05:45 PM, Alessio Soldano wrote:
> Il 26/09/2016 22:47, Ron Sigal ha scritto:
>> I see in https://access.redhat.com/articles/2158031 "JBoss Enterprise
>> Application Platform (EAP) 7 Included Modules" that jackson modules are
>> listing as "private" and jackson2 modules are "public".
>>
>> Is that also true for Wildfly 10? I'm not sure how to tell. I see,
>> though, that
>> https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY10/Implicit+module+dependencies+for+deployments
>> references org.jboss.resteasy.resteasy-jackson-provider.
>>
>> What I'm asking, really, is: Do we need to support jackson?
> Considering Jackson 2 was released in March 2012, I would say we should
> start moving away from jackson 1.x... (excluding the module in WildFly?
> marking it as deprecated?)

Ok, so, given that jackson 2 is now the default in both EAP and Wildfly,
I think we can remove it from resteasy-jboss-modules-wf-<version>.zip.
If we do another 3.0.x release, we could deprecate it there and just
remove it altogether from 3.1.0.Final. Any plans for another 3.0.x release?

> As for the implicit module dependencies, I usually go and check the
> code; for jaxrs subsystem that's in
> org.jboss.as.jaxrs.deployment.JaxrsDependencyProcessor (see the
> addDependency calls in deploy method).

Ah, yes. I know about that class. I just never remember where it is.
Thanks. ;-)

>> Also, I've been meaning to suggest that we do away with
>> resteasy-jboss-modules-<version>.zip(for AS 7) and rename
>> resteasy-jboss-modules-wf8-<version>.zip to
>> resteasy-jboss-modules-wf-<version>.zip (that is, get rid of the "8" in
>> "wf8").
> +1, I would have done that in the very next future, so feel free to go
> ahead on this :-)
>

> This said, going back to RESTEASY-1486, please see my first comment
> there. I believe JacksonJsonpInterceptor / Jackson2JsonpInterceptor is
> not enabled by default, despite the jackson / jackson2 modules being
> implicitly added as dependencies to the user deployments [1]. The
> META-INF/services/javax.ws.rs.ext.Providers in there does not list the
> jsonp interceptor, so I believe the user needs to explicitly ask for the
> provider to be installed (in the web.xml or programmatically). Am I  wrong?

Right (as Katerina says later in this thread). In RESTEASY-1486, though,
someone has created a war with resteasy-jackson2-provider-<version>.jar
and deployed it to tomcat, and the Jackson2JsonpInterceptor gets
installed. I haven't drilled all the way down, but I've replicated the
behavior. So I've added a context parameter that has to be set to "true"
for Jackson2JsonpInterceptor to append the function call.

> Cheers
> Alessio
>

> [1] note, the module dependency that's added to the deployment in the
> code has export=false.
>
>> -Ron

My company's smarter than your company (unless you work for Red Hat)