[rules-dev] Persistent store and web administration

Arjun Dhar dhar_ar at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 11:33:05 EDT 2007

The question I have for you, is that are your rules already in a decision table
format? Or are they DRL/DSL style?

That will determine the effort required to place them in the dagtabase.

Even if you ignore that; one thing to keep in mind is the difference between
your Meta-Data and actual Rule. Meta-Data IS NOT a rule.

And I conclude that if you find you own way to represent it in the DB it wil be
a decison table and as Decision Table support advances and you want to store
features of them, keeping up at the database end may turn out to be a
maintainence effort in the long run. Remember for database it's just DATA, You
have to make the effort to keep up with the schematics :)

For instance they are introducing 'FROM' and I jsut posted a question to which
apparently 'FROM' is not yet supported in decison tables. I've burnt my fingers
by branching out and then its a crazy task to keep in sync with new things and
new versions. So long run, you dont want to mess around even if your creative
side tempts you. Just an advice :o)

I've been asking myself the same question as you and these are my thoughts.

regards,
Arjun