[rules-dev] WebDav and rules repository

Michael Neale michael.neale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 20:00:14 EST 2007

For anyone who knows anything about JCR/JSR-170, there is a "node type"
called nt:file, which represents a file type resource.

We have a "asset" type node at the moment, which is kind of analagous to a
file (and it is stored in folders).

As the repository is kind of like a filesystem (ine one sense, in another
its queryable like a database and presented like one) it is possible, if we
choose, to expose things via WebDAV for applications like Excel to save
into. This opens up a lot of possibilities.

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on making our "asset" node be an "nt:file"
type - from an API point of view most of this can and will be hidden, more
of a small structural change to allow future flexability. At the moment the
asset type just stored content as a string or byte[] as needed - with an
nt:file it would be slightly more formally defined to be closer to a file.

Is it worth the effort?  Is this something that excites or interests people:

FYI, if one was to browser the repo as a (virtual) file system, it would
look something like:

/root
  /packages
    /package name