[rules-dev] Comment from doing the NumberGuess (RuleFlow) example

Paul Browne paulb at firstpartners.net
Tue Oct 2 03:27:52 EDT 2007

Folks,

Two general comments on the format of the RuleFlow (.rf) file from when I
was doing the NumberGuess documentation.

When I built workflow apps using jBPM I was able to edit the workflow XML
files by hand. Some people prefer this and it makes it easier should
somebody want to build an alternative editor for these files (e.g Web Based
instead of the Eclipse IDE).  For jBPM I *had* to edit these manually , as
the IDE kept crashing.

The comment / complaint is that the Drools Ruleflow files are much harder to
edit. Yes, it's xml but the nodes do not seem to be in any particular order.
With jBPM , the nodes tend to be arranged in a flow from Start to End.

Talking of Web Based editors for flow, have you seen the Ajax / DHTML Editor
that Yahoo has for Pipes:
http://firstpartners.net/blog/technology/xml/2007/03/23/yahoo-pipes-in-10-easy-steps-sample-for-iona-dublin/

This shows that it is possible to have a Flow editor implemented in HTML.

Just my two thoughts.

Paul